History of the Church

 

Below is a brief history of the Church. To read a full account written by Peter Carter click on the icon.

Campsea Ashe Church History and Guide

 

It is believed the Church was built in the early 14th century, some 700 years ago and the first Rector was appointed in 1312. A list of Rectors is available on a board in the Church and this list includes that of Sir Alexandar Inglisshe who died in 1504 – there is a brass of him in the nave near the chancel step and this is one of only four in Suffolk of a priest in eucharistic vestments. The Church is approached though a Lych Gate which was erected in 1937 to celebrate the coronation of King George V1. The Church is built mainly of knapped and ball flints with some brick with limestone insets. The tower is some 76 feet high and internally is constructed of crag. The roof is lead covered, and the remainder of the roof slate, with the nave being of the westmoreland green variety. The inside of the Church was redecorated in the spring of 2003 and hidden under the Victorian replastering could be seen areas of medieval plaster tinted a pastel green colour, with the rail at the top of the wall picked out in Wedgewood blue, surmounted by a white ceiling. The organ was originally housed in a gallery at the rear of the Church, but moved to its present position in 1878. The instrument was completely renovated by H Nordon & Son of Ipswich, the first major repair since its installation.

 

Plan.jpg

Click on image to enlarge