The Sheppard Family

 

The Sheppard family originally came from Mendlesham, but lived in the village for several hundreds of years. They bought the High House and they, no doubt, had a major influence on most people who lived in the village. It is believed that at least 14 members of the Sheppard are buried in a vault in the chancel of the Church - but we don't know exactly where!

A member of the Local Heritage Group has been researching the Sheppard family and a summary of her story is now available here.

In 1883 the family sold by auction their large estates in Campsea Ashe and Bawdsey. It must have been an amazing sale and one which, no doubt, generated interest far beyond the borders of Campsea Ashe. The sale catalogue details all the various parts of the estate and can be viewed by clicking on the icon below. We are grateful to the owner of the document, Phil Warne, for allowing us to copy and publish the document.

Campsea Ashe Estate Sale catalogue 1883